Thank you to everyone in Southwark who is staying at home to help protect the NHS and to save lives. It is making a real difference.
We must all do everything we can to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by staying at home and staying away from other people. This means we must only go out to:
- shop for food and necessities
- fulfil a medical need
- exercise once a day
- travel to and from work if absolutely necessary.
This week we are sending the first food parcels out to extremely vulnerable residents in Southwark, including those that are part of the ‘shielding’ programme. We are staying in close contact with these residents to make sure they have the food, essential supplies, medicines and social contact they need.
I know that it is not only vulnerable residents who are worried about their finances during this unprecedented time. That’s why the council is making sure we provide advice and support for people who are temporarily struggling with lower incomes. Please see below for the support available.
As well as supporting residents we are also committed to supporting our fantastic local businesses. I am delighted that we have already distributed over £15m in grants to Southwark-based businesses that are struggling as a result of COVID-19, and we are due to distribute another £45m this week.
I continue to be immensely proud of Southwark Council staff who are working so hard to keep key services running and to support our most vulnerable residents.
In this newsletter you will find information about council services and support available to residents and businesses. You can also check our website for regular updates at www.southwark.gov.uk/coronavirus
Thank you for your ongoing support,
Cllr Peter John
Financial support for residents
We know that COVID-19 has increased financial pressure and concerns for many residents. We have created a dedicated webpage that details financial support that is available and will be updated regularly. The page currently includes:
- information on claiming universal credit
- how to get help if you’re struggling with rent payments
- how to get help if you’re struggling with a payment owed to the council, including council tax
- help if you’re struggling with your household’s urgent, basic needs
- confirmation that all our debt collection activities have been paused
- help if you you’re a council homeowner and struggling to pay a leaseholder payment.
Financial support for businesses
Enviado por José Antonio Sierra